Friday, July 23, 2010

My new Work Out

Ok, I am honest: I have tried a lot of different work outs, but nothing ever really worked for me. I just could not keep it up. Weather it's doing Yoga in my room, playing some kind of sports in a regularly basis or going to the Gym. I even was registered in a 80 euro-a-month Gym that offers everything you could wish (workout area, gymnastics area, spinning area, different classes from Yoga to guided weightlifting, personal trainer, pool, 3 saunas, a lot of friends that also go there) but still, after 2 month i basically did not go there anymore.
So why is that? I have no idea. My best guess is, that I am just not made to do the same thing over and over again.
I have been thinking about that, and thought to myself i make an advantage out of this problem:
Instead of trying to do one thing all the time and become really good, I just try to do something, whatever that is and be opened to everything new. The only condition: do something at least 5 hours a week.
So here is what i did since the beginning of the year 2010:
snowboarding, cross country skiing, snow hiking, yoga, jiu jitsu,  biking, running, swimming, slack lining, rock climbing, volleyball, soccer, american football, frisbee, weight lifting, tennis, badminton, learning to ride a one-wheeler,
oh, and don't get me wrong: i am far from being good in any of these sports, for me it's just fun to learn something new, try it for some time and then either leave it or do it from time to time.

Soo, right now I am in Lancaster, Ma, working in an Ayurveda Spa. Its beautiful here, but: there is not much to do. We have awesome gardens and a lot of trees. That's how i started my newest kind of workout thing:

Tree Climbing

It's awesome! I love it! It's this mixture of strength, flexibility, coordination and adrenalin that really kicks my butt. And I think its a pretty good workout for my whole body. So i am following the fun for a while...
But today i was trying to figure which muscles tree climnbing actually trains, but mr. google only came up with a lot of kids stuff i specially liked that one: 7 Tips from Uncle Sam. Is tree climbing really only for Kids?

Here's how I do it:
First of all, I do some kind of warm up, which most of the time is just simply running for a few minutes and then do a little stretching before I start. Then I pick a tree that is challenging, I put my hand at it, close my eyes and "ask it for permition". Sounds kind of weird but I think since a tree is a living organism I should at least start some kind of communication with it before I jump on it and climb it. It also gives me a moment to focus on myself and concentrate. Since I am alone and more then 7 years old, I do the "free climbing" variation. No ropes, no security-something. Just me and the tree. Normally I wear my five -fingers, or on trees with an even bark I also often go barfoot, simply cause I like feeling the tree. Furthermore, since i have just started, I do not go too high up. But getting higher lets the adrenalin kick in, which I think is an awesome experience. Most of the times, when I reach the top I take a little break, look at my surroundings, maybe close my eyes and thank the tree and then descend again.

Soo that's all so far, here are some more funny websites about tree climbing :)
Benefits of tree climbing
Tree Climbing: so You Want to be a Tree Climber
Wikipedia - Tree Climbing 


ooh, i like that: (have to train a little more to be able to do that too)

No comments:

Post a Comment