Sunday, September 5, 2010

How to wash your clothes

Ok, for many of you this may seem to be a joke, and i admit...it kinda started out as one. I am almost 28 now and have been living on my own for almost 10 years now, and have been washing clothes for a long time...

BUT, everything I learned, i got from my Mum, my ex-girlfriends, my step-mum... And its all biased... they all just do, it cause "thats the way how it is done"... and I never took the time to look into that...


And seriously... DO you know all these signs?!?!

I DO NOT!!!
And there is a lot of other questions... Which colors go well with each other, which do not, why is my mum telling me to wash everything inside out, how do i avoid lint, avoid ironing my shirts and how do i prevent my socks from getting lost...?!?!

So, it is time to learn...
Typing "how to wash clothes" gives the first, almost satisfying answers, with some funny sidenotes like:
 Collect all your soiled clothes from the rooms, or wherever you keep them. Keep in mind to look under your bed.

more about that at:
 http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Clothes


this very  wise article furthermore says:
"Understand all the knobs on the machines to make sure you are washing the clothes the way you are planning to." 
Hahahahahaahaaaaaa - this one is definitely written for women :D



So, my mum told me to always "wash my clothes inside out"
Mr google brought me to this:
Top 8 Tips to Prevent Colors from Fadingwhich i personally find very entertaining!
Insider tip number one, that astonished me with its simplicity and deep thinking:
"1. Read the Care Label" - reallly!?!?!? guys... you are CRAZY!!!

unbelievably it gets even better because:
Sorting clothes is a great opportunity to check the care label, and place your clothing in the correct pile
I love this article :)

But, finally i get to the answer to my question:



3. Turn Clothes Inside Out
Some of the wear and tear that happens on your clothing can be prevented by turning your clothing inside out before washing and drying. Washing and drying clothing is rough on the outside of your clothing. Turning garments inside out will reduce pilling which dulls the look of the fabric. Don't forget to turn clothing inside out when you hang clothes outside to dry. While the sun is an excellent and efficient drying tool, it will zap the color right out of your clothing.
ok... no real news, but supports my mum :D

and FINALLY:
How do I prevent always having 1 single sock?!?!?!?
The eye-opening surpires???
Safety Pins!!!!!!!!!!
really?

I have no idea if it works, but it sounds like a good idea :)
i got it from 5 Ways to Keep Socks Together Through Washing and Drying

and i like it :)


Enough for today!


Happy wahsing and may your socks never get lost again!!! :)

P.s.: a special tip for very desperate ones: http://www.laundrygoddess.com

1 comment: