Monday, August 2, 2010

My New Camera

OOOOOOOK, i did it...

i was looking for a Fisheye lens for quite a long time now. Sadly nothing in the digital realm came up to my expectations concerning quality, creativity and price.
Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 
First of course i was looking for Lenses for my Canon Eos 350d (= rebel in the US).
The real good lenses are all above 500 USD, like the Canon Fisheye or the Sigma Fisheye for Canon.
After those high end lenses my way led me to the cheaper ones, in the hope of finding something that could fulfill my desires. I landet at Pro-Optic, Samyang, Rokinon, Bower (= all the same) with their 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye. With a cost from about 300 USD this sounded affordable and it seemed to be pretty good. But: manual appreture, manual focus? I don't know if i want to deal with that, after paying 300 bucks...

Since I am not willing to buy a Lens that is worh 3 time as much as my camera i came to those cheap plug-on lenses, which they sell in million times on Amazon. But there are two problems with them:

  1. the are cheap plastic bombers that ruin the motor of the lens you put it on and
  2. they probably have pretty poor quality while pretending to be good quality.
So... no plastic-plug-on cheapy cheap lens for me...

Lomo Fisheye # 2 Whit Knight edition
Then I found LOMO and its fairly new released Lomographics Fisheye # 2 .
My heart started pumping a little faster. Looks good, this little, withe, plastic knight. It's not promising the best picture quality, BUT: it's promising fun, creativity and a good price. And the bottom line is, that that's what i have been looking for!

The only problem I have: I am a kid of the age of digitalism. I have never, since i am an adult made any picture with a film camera. So i am a little bit nervous if i can deal with not knowing how the picture looks like until the film is full and developed. 

We will see how I can live with that.

Most important for me: I found a market niche that no company is actually serving: affordable, digital cameras that are tailored towards young, creative minds that do not give a shit about the highest quality, or how many lenses you can put on it. 
A digital, point and shoot fun camera that gives you artistic pictures you can work with. Somehow similar to the Lomo - just digital.
Wouldn't that be fun?!?

Until then, I'll try my best with the new Lomo soon to arrive :)


No comments:

Post a Comment