Saturday, August 7, 2010

Putting friends into boxes

Since I am doing my internship here in Lancaster, I have a little more time to do, lets say, organizational stuff for my "online life". I have cleared out the 8.340 e-mails in my gmail account, I registered a blog, and finally, I organized my Facebook friendlist.

Unbelievably I have 642 "friends" now, and every once in a while i am wondering "Who are all of these people?!?"

So, I just started with A like Aaron Hickenbottom Jr , going all the way through to Zack Phillips (Zack Phillips ॐ), or actually: ユウキ カドタ  (whoever that is....) and putting everybody into a category.

Since I did not have categries yet, i just started one, for everybody i did not know where to put them. But surprisingly I ended up with only 7 Categories.
Bad Ischl - my old friends fomr high school, where i used to live between age 10 and 19.
Family - all my family sibblings, parrents, uncels, nephews and nieces, their boy- and girlfriends
Gastein - The City where I used to work as a Snowboard teacher and spend my holidays
Lancaster - the smallest group so far,
Linz - all people i got to know during the time i lived in Linz when i was 19 until 26.
MUM - all the people i got to know since i go to MUM
Others - 27 people i did not really know where to put. Friends of friends and people i do not actually know.

Suprisingly for me, the by far biggest group is the MUM group with an incredible number of 344 friends in it. Clearly not all of them are really MUM students, but its all the people all over the USA i got to know since I am here, and it still suprises me how many of them there are.
Due to the fact that i came to facebook only 2 month before i left to Fairfield, there is not so many people from Austria in this group, but still, 300 people from the good old days, back home :)

And going through the list, i found a lot of people that i otherwise would have forgotten. Friends that i had not heard of in a long time, people i would have no idea what they are up to and ex-girlfriends that i have not talked to in much too long!

It's interesting to see all of these people, and it makes me happy to see how my friends from high school made their own way through life in all various kinds of ways.

But it also reminds me, that looking back at them all is nothing more than a memory. I should not put to much energy in the thoughts about what happened, cause it's all just the past.
And my life happens now.

1 comment:

  1. OMG...I think that I have officially decided that you spend way too much time on facebook! But I do like the idea of getting in touch with old friends. There are a lot of people that are important and easy to forget when you have over 600 friends too say hi to! ;) I know it says anonymous but it's me Katie!

    ReplyDelete