Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My new Minimalism

My new Minimalism


I just stumbled over this guy: Leo Babauta
and he is a really interesting guy.
Not only has he written a bock which's title definitely interests me: "The Fine Art of Less -the fine art of limiting yourself to the essential". I think, I'll gonna need this.


Do Less. Get More Done.


also he has two blogs that attracted my attention:
with interesting posts like 
rethinking necessities
50 Amazing and Essential Novels to Enrich Your Library

This guy totally got me. The people he quotes in his blogs, the topics he writes about - everything sounds pretty cool! I think i'll spend some time in the near future reading what he has to say.

Here are some of the quotes that I really liked:
‘Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure. But unfortunately, although it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it. Because we cannot accept the truth of transience, we suffer.’ ~Shunryu Suzuki
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”Aristotle
"With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson 
mnmlist : less
  • Stop buying unnecessary things.
  • Toss half your stuff, learn contentedness.
  • Reduce half again.
  • List 4 essential things in your life,
  • stop doing non-essential things.
  • Do these essentials first each day, clear distractions
  • focus on each moment.
  • Let go of attachment to doing, having more.
  • Fall in love with less.


also, he made me think about my own lifestyle right now.
One thing i did almost a year ago, when i left Austria to come to the USA, was to give away as much of my stuff as i could. Simply because of the fact that I moved out of my apartment and i could not bring anything with me anyways. Therefore i gave away most of my furniture and stored the rest of the stuff in my parents house. Rethinking now, i should have given away more, but that's ok, i can still do when i come back.


Thinking back, it was liberating for me to give away all these things. Less to carry with me, less to be worried about. Having no car and no cell phone for a year was the best that could have happened to me, and i think i want to continue on this path. Keep less and have more space to be. Just be.


We will see how it works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment